Punishing the IT developer 163

• It is so interesting to me to see how software developers are being treated like criminals and suspects as a final outcome of SOX.
    I have 30 years of systems development background, and from our perspective, the mad rush to slam papers and processes into place has left us shaking our heads. I’m a professional web developer these days, and have retreated away from coding because it seems any work we do here at my company is suddenly suspect and that the almighty paper-pusher delights at stopping any and all useful work.
    If this is where the auditors hang out, then I have this to say: You’ve declared war on the creative people gentlemen and ladies. And we have heard the message. The golden goose has stopped laying eggs and will seek other climes.
    As I recall, wasn’t Arthur Andersen, Enron, and Worldcom the bunch who were to be punished? As it stands now, the entire IT commmunity is being burned alive for the actions of a few bad apples… This appears to be a law that has had very little thinking that went into regulation of the regulators. If someone was looking to create real obstacles for the U.S. economy, this is the way it would be done.
    I’m really thinking of giving up secure web design and heading out to become a gardner. At least the bugs I run into there will not have auditors running around blaming me for all the ills in the world…
    Jon

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• Anybody from the banking world should recognize the frustration you feel. Banking IT regulations have been stringent for years. I used to hear the same cries of pain that I’m hearing now. My advice: get over it.%0AThe big fact of social life is that we spend 90% of our energy regulating the 10% that break rules. But that keeps 50% of us employed.