Backup Data Center Location 1568

• Does anyone know the distance a Back-up data center needs to be from its primary? I heard one of our Network guys saying that Sarbanes-Oxley was recommending 200 miles.

• Hi Dana and welcome to the forums 🙂 I did a quick search and indeed found a reference to the 200 mile recommendation, as noted below:
    As direct hyperlinking is discouraged in forums, please cut/paste the URL into your browser and prefix it with ‘www’
    SEC Recommended Distance Considerations
    sec.gov/rules/concept/s73202/cnt1.htm
    To minimize the risk that a primary and a backup site are both impaired by a single wide-scale regional outage, Zone 2 sites for core clearing and settlement organizations and other firms that play significant roles in critical financial markets should be encouraged to be 200 miles apart (at a minimum). This distance should ensure that companies are not subject to a regional or geographic event that would affect their network, phone system, electrical grid and personnel.

• Hi Harry,
    Thank you so much for the information and the quick reply. I was searching and searching and couldn’t find the info. I appreicate it.
    Cheers
    DJ

• Please note that this is NOT A REQUIREMENT of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act.
    Although it is good advice, Harry’s link would appear to be a recommendation TO the SEC FROM a 3rd Party Company. It would also appear to be aimed at financial institutions rather than all companies in scope of SOX.

• Denis,
    I understand what you are saying and appreciate your input.
    DJ