Can you help me in my career plan? 1727

• Moderators, i’m not sure if this is okay to post. You may just delete this topic if you think this is not the appropriate venue to discuss my career plan. πŸ™‚ Thanks.

Hey SOX gods,
    I really would love to work as a SOX consultant in the future. or maybe a Forensic Accountant.
    Can you help me in my career planning?
    I’m a licensed accountant here in the philippines. I worked as a Data Analyst (a data encoder job) for 2.5 years and now working as an Accountant in a large multinational oil company.
    My job is a typical accounting job - Booking of invoices, reconciliation of accounts, preparation financial reports, et cetera.
    Now, after 3 years of doing the routinary job, i want to shift to audit. I want to become a SOX analyst/consultant in the future.
    but i’m a bit hesitant because i know that it is a total career shift. Bookkeeping to SOX. πŸ™‚
    What are the necessary steps that i should take?
    Should I first apply for an internal audit job, then take a CIA?
    Should I join a Big4 accounting firm and give up this high paying job?
    (note: an entry level audit job in the philippines pays really low)

I’m 26 and hoping that before i reached 29 or 30 :D, i already have at least started my way to being a SOX analyst. πŸ™‚
    Thanks in advance for your help.

• Hi,
    Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA)
    It might be helpful to check out the training offerings in your country that are offered by the local Institute of Internal Auditors affiliate.
    Internet Resources
    You can also find a lot of information about education/learning resources on this site and the site maintained by the IIA (theiia.org).
    Certification
    Consider either CPA or CIA certification. If you are technically inclined, you might also consider CISA. Personally, I think that many opportunities will be available in the next five years and onward for those with a CISA certification.
    Relevant Experience
    Get involved in SOX projects. The high paying job as a bookkeeper might be good in the short run, but with increased process automation, more robust accounting information systems, and integration among financial, operating and manufacturing IT applications, the demand for experienced bookkeepers will decline in the coming years.
    Good luck,
    Milan

• Hi and welcome to the SOX forums πŸ™‚ You’re not alone in looking at a possible career in SOX related fields, as there are at least 3 recent threads:
    http://www.sarbanes-oxley-forum.com/modules.php?name=Forums-and-file=viewtopic-and-t=1610
    http://www.sarbanes-oxley-forum.com/modules.php?name=Forums-and-file=viewtopic-and-t=1570
    http://www.sarbanes-oxley-forum.com/modules.php?name=Forums-and-file=viewtopic-and-t=1459
    Milan offers some good advice related to expanding your knowledge and education related to this area. Your experience and training can provide a starting point, as you set future career goals. If your present company adheres to SOX compliancy standards, you might be able to learn some aspects of this at work. As continuing education is something all of us need, devoting time to learning more about SOX compliancy standards could help you later in your career. Good luck πŸ™‚