Is this an ethical action? 1865

• I take a contrary view and would not say this is unethical at all. In fact I would not be surprised if E-and-Y run a referral programme for employees who refer potential candidates to the firm - and thus avoid the exorbitant recruiter fees.
    Also lmao at the mental image of financial complacency auditing 😄

• Denis - You have an eagle eye – I’m laughing also as I missed the sentence on financial complacency auditing . Yes, I believe Erich has coined a new term 😉 😄 😄 I guess those of us in IT can’t spell as well as we should 😉
    I also didn’t see a violation of ethical standards by ‘networking’ with someone in the company (as it’s a fairly accepted practices in our ‘at will’ employment environment). Still, I shared my ideas as perhaps a better approach for seeking employment, so that there might not be any impacts in corporate relationships.

• Denis - You have an eagle eye – I’m laughing also as I missed the sentence on financial complacency auditing . Yes, I believe Erich has coined a new term 😉 😄 😄 I guess those of us in IT can’t spell as well as we should 😉
    I also didn’t see a violation of ethical standards by ‘networking’ with someone in the company (as it’s a fairly accepted practices in our ‘at will’ employment environment). Still, I shared my ideas as perhaps a better approach for seeking employment, so that there might not be any impacts in corporate relationships.
    Hey, I’m an IT guy, financial professionals look to me for new answers, new words, and new meanings to words that already exist. Isn’t that what an engineers job entails? :lol:
    I’ll have to give this more thought before making a move. It’s probably a year or two down the road, so I have plenty of time to think 😄

• Update …
    Just thought I’d let you guys know what I did
    I contacted an EY recruiter vis-a-vis LinkedIn. We’ll see what happens, but at least doing it this way doesn’t have an affect on the auditors on site.

• I swear I’m not trying to get my post count up :lol:
    The recruiter replied to my e-mail and I’m happy to say she is/was very pleasant.
    Looks like I made the right call.
    If you haven’t joined LinkedIn already, you might want to … so far it’s a great tool for networking

• Long story short … I’m in between a rock and a hard place now.
    I spoke to the recruiter and manager at EY in a informal setting (now that 2006s audit is complete) over the phone.
    Turns out, they feel it could be problematic if they hire from a company that’s also their client. For example, EY doesn’t want the client (my company) to be impacted by hiring me because it would appear un-professional and unethical.
    This stinks because it appears this particular branch of EY likes me a lot and thinks I’m a great fit. I spoke with the manager last night for close to two hours and I spoke to the recruiter about the current predicament.
    In conclusion … the recruiter and manager are going to talk to the partner and see what they think. Unfortunately, EY isn’t hiring for the group I’m interested in at present, so I won’t know the end result for a few months.
    Just thought some might find the situation interesting.

• Hi - I’d definitely recommend patience, continuing to learn as a professional and doing the best job you can at your company. You obviously have good skill sets to have these folks interested and there’s always a chance later. It’s good particularly in your 1st couple of jobs to have a few years of service and a good track record (verses bouncing from job to job - unless you truly move ahead with each step).
    Good luck in the steps ahead and keep investing in your career by taking classes and using learning opportunities where possible 🙂

• Hello
    I agree with Dennis. Although, you have followed more than apt due diligence in this matter, there is no ethics violation on your part. Ethically, E and Y should not approach you for getting hired if known to the Senior Management . Who knows your friend at E and Y may have a silent approval from his partner to approach you for you being a valuable resource to Ernst and Young.
    Well all the best in this matter and for your CISA (I believe that you can still take the exam as auditing is not the only criteria for certification(as long as you are involved in the control framework). Moreover, CISA governing bodies keep on changing the syllabus for the exam in line with future expectation for the IT industry. I would advise you to keep track of the syllabus and should be prepared to take the exam when the current syllabus is in line with your core competency and preparation. So do not delay in taking the exam.
    All the best once again.

• Hello
    I agree with Dennis. Although, you have followed more than apt due diligence in this matter, there is no ethics violation on your part. Ethically, E and Y should not approach you for getting hired if known to the Senior Management . Who knows your friend at E and Y may have a silent approval from his partner to approach you for you being a valuable resource to Ernst and Young.
    Well all the best in this matter and for your CISA (I believe that you can still take the exam as auditing is not the only criteria for certification(as long as you are involved in the control framework). Moreover, CISA governing bodies keep on changing the syllabus for the exam in line with future expectation for the IT industry. I would advise you to keep track of the syllabus and should be prepared to take the exam when the current syllabus is in line with your core competency and preparation. So do not delay in taking the exam.
    All the best once again.
    Hi Chhaava, thanks for the post.
    I wanted to make it clear that I approached E-and-Y and I’m waiting to hear back what their thoughts regarding the manner are … although I don’t think I’ll know until EY TSRS begins hiring (they’ve stopped for the last 6 months)

• For anyone interested, the situation has come to a close.
    EY has told me that they’ve decided not to pursue me.
    Thanks for everyones help here on this manner.

• It is okay. We are better off pursuing opportunities with direct clients rather than with Big 4, as their business from SOX outsourcing is coming to an end as more and mre clients are bringing sustenance inhouse.
    I have been given to understand that market for us is going to open soon for this inhouse sustenance.
    All the best.

• Well, after looking around and interviewing for non-big4 firms, I was just made an offer an accepted. While some of my work will be SOX related, it’s only ~30%. 😄

• Well, after looking around and interviewing for non-big4 firms, I was just made an offer an accepted. While some of my work will be SOX related, it’s only ~30%. 😄 %0AGood luck to you as you take that next step in your career path. I’d always recommend thanking your present employer for the opportunties they provided and leaving on the best of terms 🙂

• Well, after looking around and interviewing for non-big4 firms, I was just made an offer an accepted. While some of my work will be SOX related, it’s only ~30%. 😄 %0AGood luck to you as you take that next step in your career path. I’d always recommend thanking your present employer for the opportunties they provided and leaving on the best of terms 🙂 %0AYes, you’re right, my employer was very good to me and I’ve thanked him profusely. He wished they had similar work here so I could stay, but I made it very clear how much I’ll miss him and the guys. He’s being very good about it, so I’m very happy.%0AI’d also like to thank you and many other members who were very helpful in guiding me into this field, whether directly or indirectly, thanks again.