Database Backup Frequency 2457

• Cant seem to find information as to standards or best practice stipulations for db backup schedules. Every day, night, what systems should be backed up, etc.
    Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you very much .
    JL

• Hi Jerry,
    Systems to be backed up, Data to be backed up and Backup schedules should be decided by the System Owner and Data Owner. The major point that they should take into consideration - How critical is the data and systems to the organization?. This in turn will define the schedule of the backup.
    As per my limited knowledge, if the data / system impacts the Balance sheet (Financials) of any organization directly it should be considered critical.
    Looking forward to responses from the experienced
    Cheers.
    Sandeep

• Depending on the database type, there are different types of backups. Generally there is what is known as a full backup, and a transactional backup. A full backup is simply an entire backup of all the data in a particular database. I have worked in several large banks and the frequency seems to be once per week. (These take a lot of time, and space if the DB is large). A transactional backup takes a snapshot of a database, I.E. Stores all changes during a particular window so that the database can be restored by rebuilding from the logs (like a history or map Start at this time, run these changes, voila, you are back in sync). These are typically performed in intervals of hours. Depending on the amount of transactions (changes) that are performed by users of a database, determine how much work you could afford to loose. I typically see a theme of every 2 and 4 hours. I am not sure what the significance is.
    There is one more type of backup which is really not considered a DB backup but a disk backup per se. This is called mirroring, what happens on one physical drive, is mirrored to another. Generally mission critical databases are mirrored as well.
    Most modern RDBMS systems have facilities for easily scheduling both types and duration of backups. A good strategy involves both complete and transactional database backups (unless you are dealing with mom and pop type databases that change once or twice a day).

• A lot of good info, i will look into the methods you have suggested, and check which methods should be applied to our current system. Like you said, its mostlikely going to be a mix of them all.
    JL

• I’ve been doing a little freelance writing outside of work as time permits and below are 2 articles developed so far that might help.
    I agree with the good advice above in:
    – Performing a risk assessment with System Owners
    – Determine technically how much downtime would occur plus how much information would need to be rekeyed if a server or the entire data center were lost
    – Balance backup technological capabilities with business needs
    – Ensure regulatory requirements are addressed (remember SOX requires a 7 year retention period)
    FWIW 😉 – Below are articles recently written for Tech Target (a 3rd one on Sharepoint will be coming soon as well):
    please copy URLs to your browser
    Disaster recovery for Windows-and-#58; Four critical success factors
    http-and-#58;//searchwinit.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid1_gci1284041,00.html
    Testing Windows disaster recovery plans
    http-and-#58;//searchwinit.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid1_gci1299649,00.html
    The 1st link includes the following:
    Anyone can take a backup, but can they recover? Even with today’s improved capabilities, the actual recovery process continues to be a challenge for IT managers in Windows shops.
    On the surface, disaster recovery seems simple enough. All you need are the backup files and similar hardware at another location, right? In some cases, this concept works if you’re restoring just a workstation or server. But everyone who has restored a workstation or server knows that sometimes these seemingly simple tasks are more difficult than they should be …
    Four critical success factors

1. Streamline business and technology planning
    2. Continuously fine-tune documentation
    3. Maintain security at all times
    4. Ensure success by actively testing

• Awesome information harry, very very useful. Thank you so much, again, for all the info.
    JL